Pinchbeck United told to put FA Vase shock behind them ahead of double header

Lewis Thorogood has urged his Pinchbeck United players to respond to their surprise FA Vase exit as they prepare for two games in four days.

Having gone four games unbeaten in the Uhlsport UCL Premier Division North, the Knights lost to unfancied Graham Street Prims in the Vase on Friday night.

Despite being disappointed by the defeat, boss Thorogood is now focused on Saturday’s Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field clash with mid-table Melton Town (3pm) and Tuesday’s trip to title hopefuls Anstey Nomads (7.45pm).

“I’m not unduly concerned by the Vase defeat,” said Thorogood. “Of course, if we’d managed to win that game it would have been the perfect end to a great couple of weeks for us.

“But it’s gone now and we have to focus on the league. The message to the players is to get back to what they’ve been doing in the league for most of the season.

“I’m expecting a response and these two games coming up will give us every chance to do that.

“So far this season, for whatever reason, we seem to have done quite against the teams that are higher up the table.

“Obviously Anstey fit that profile, but we’re only looking at the Melton game on Saturday at the moment.

“I’ll be telling the lads to go again and we’re four unbeaten in the league for a reason.

“But we also can’t get ahead of ourselves and just expect results to happen.”

Pinchbeck have no new injury concerns ahead of the double-header, but Enoch Opayinka is pushing for a recall up front.

more >

Walker with brain tumour steps up

19 Aug 2026

Cheers to the ‘Prosecco lady’

19 Aug 2026

Friends look to break stigma over men’s mental health

19 Aug 2026

Developer allowed to drop health and education contributions, but authority told to look at ‘clawback clause’

19 Aug 2026

Friends are having a ball

19 Aug 2026

Next phase of Active Travel work in Spalding will see closure of Woolram Wygate

19 Aug 2026