Container blown off freight train: Network Rail implements changes

Changes have been implemented to the way freight trains carry containers following an incident in Deeping St Nicholas.

On March 31, an empty container on a train travelling towards Spalding was blown off in winds of about 68mph. If followed a similar incident in Cumbria on March 7, with a train travelling at 75mph.
Rail operator Network Rail has completed investigations and says restrictions have been revised in light of the incidents and containers are now either mechanically secured or removed from the train completely when high winds are forecast “which will reduce the risk of a repeat incident”.

Meanwhile, operational problems with level crossing barriers on the upgraded GNGE line continue.
Mill Green and Park Road in Spalding had issues for more than an hour early on Thursday morning.

Police closed part of Woolram Wygate to prevent people trying to cross at Mill Green.
As previously reported, South Holland District Council chief executive Anna Graves wrote to Network Rail asking for assurances over the ongoing issues.
Mark Terry, managing director of the London North Eastern and East Midlands routes, replied.
A council spokesman said: “In the letter, he apologises for any inconvenience caused by the recent level crossing breakdowns and states that his team is working hard to rectify the issues.”

more >

New music events for town

19 Feb 2026

Lorry driver jailed for causing collision that killed pensioner

19 Feb 2026

District council to put up its tax share by 3%

18 Feb 2026

All aboard new journey for station

18 Feb 2026

Blind date was a diamond

18 Feb 2026

Shaun’s 100km charity run

18 Feb 2026