A senior councillor accepts that new wheelie bin plans might be ‘unpopular’ but believes that it will lead to an effective service.
South Holland District Council’s cabinet has now agreed the policies which will govern the new refuse service once wheelie bins replace the traditional black and green bin bags, writes Local Democracy Reporter
Residents will be receiving three 240 litre wheelie bins for residual waste, mixed dry recycling along with paper and card when the system goes live.
They will also receive a kitchen caddy which will be emptied weekly.
Coun Jim Astill (Conservative – Crowland and Deeping St Nicholas), portfolio holder for corporate and environment services, told Tuesday’s meeting that bags which do not fit in the bin will not be collected.
Speaking at the meeting on Tuesday, February 17, Coun Astill said: “I appreciate our side waste policy might be unpopular but as a local authority and part of the reason that we changed is because we’re committed to controlling the amount of waste, driving up the amount of waste being recycled and driving down the amount of waste being incinerated.
“If we can achieve that, it would lead to a more efficient and effective service.”
No formal date has yet been set for when the wheelie bins – which will be provided free of charge to residents – will be rolled out.
While no waste which is left alongside the bins will be collected, but there will be an option to buy an additional bin.
Coun Astill said that households with ‘six or more residents’ or people with additional ‘health needs’ will still be able to use additional bags if they require them.
He added: “For properties identified as not being suitable for bins, the policy outlines the number of bags that will continue to be provided and how many can be presented on collection.”
Councillors heard that the changes were in response to legislation from the Environment Act 2021 which requires local authorities to improve recycling rates and reduce contamination.
As part of the changes to how the authority collects waste, councillors also approved an amendment which will mean that community centres, village halls and places of worship will no longer be charged for their first set of wheelie bins, if they request them, but they will be charged for subsequent bins.
Coun Gary Taylor (Conservative – Spalding Castle) also put forward an amendment to scrap a plan to charge community centres, village halls and places of worship at a ‘commercial rate’.
He added: “I’m not happy with that. If you look at places of worship, village halls, community centres across the district, these are mainly run by volunteers. People are making an effort to improve our community for free.”
Coun Anthony Casson (Conservative – Moulton, Weston and Cowbit) supported the amendment.
He said: “A lot of small village halls locally are struggling financially. They don’t want another burden around their neck.
“Yes, if they want another bin, besides the one that they’re hopefully getting, then yes charge them for it, but I think they don’t want another bill down their neck and some of them are struggling.”
This amendment was agreed.
Coun Andrew Woolf (Conservative – Moulton, Weston and Cowbit) said that while the policies had taken a long time to be agreed, it was important not to rush them.
Coun Woolf, who is the chairman of one of the council’s scrutiny committees which had been going through the polices, added: “I make no apologies for how long it took because this is one of the most substantial changes in the district, probably since it’s been going to be fair.
“I assume that when it first started, we’ve been on bags from day one, so I make no apology about how long it took.
“We pulled it to pieces. We went through every one of the points individually. I don’t think it’s one thing that we’re ever going to say it’s right.
“What I would say is as best laid out as it possibly can be. We know just how much of a marmite subject it is.”
Coun Woolf went on to stress that educating residents on what items can be put in each bin will be essential for the new waste collection service to run smoothly.
He said: “There are going to be challenges and I know that they’re going to come along.
“I know that a lot of recommendations focus on education. I think that’s something that we’re going to have to do a lot of to make sure people are putting the right items in the right bins.
“It is going to be difficult. It is going to be challenging but I think that we’ve got it as best that we possibly can get it although I wouldn’t say that anything is going to be perfect in the beginning.”