Sutton Bridge man found guilty of new non-fatal strangulation charge

A Sutton Bridge man has been found guilty of a new non-fatal strangulation charge.

Robin Goldsmith, aged 45, of Garners Wharf was charged with non-fatal strangulation after an alleged assault reported in the village on Monday July 11.

Goldsmith appeared via video link at Lincoln Magistrates’ Court today (13 July) where he was found guilty of the strangulation charge. He will be sentenced at Lincoln Crown Court at a later date.

The charge of non-fatal strangulation comes as a result of the creation of a new offence under the Domestic Abuse Act 2021 which was introduced nationally on June 7. It carries a maximum sentence of five years imprisonment.

A spokesman for Lincolnshire Police, said: “This is the second time we have charged an individual under a new legislation that aims to protect victims of domestic abuse.

“Victims of strangulation may be left with little or no physical marks meaning previously, a charge of actual bodily harm or common assault may have been applied, which did not reflect the serious nature of the act.”

Detective Superintendent Richard Myszczyszyn, Head of the Protecting Vulnerable Persons (PVP) Unit, said: “We take all reports of Domestic Abuse seriously and will take a robust action to support victims as best as we can.

“We are committed to using our powers to tackle abuse, including non-fatal strangulation and non-fatal suffocation.”

more >

Police appeal over cake theft

18 May 2026

Nursery firm says it’s out of administration

18 May 2026

Pinchbeck man admits Tongue End manslaughter

15 May 2026

Jury fails to reach verdicts on man accused of sexual assaults on child

15 May 2026

Councillors vow to tackle ‘barriers’ surrounding youth unemployment

14 May 2026

Council apologises and launches inquiry after waste collections missed

14 May 2026