Motorist driving while disqualified asks not to be punished

A motorist has admitted driving while disqualified – but insists she was unaware of the ban and therefore should not be punished.

Amber Barnes was stopped in a Nissan Qashqai on the A10 at Downham on February 14.

It transpired that she was a banned driver and the vehicle had no insurance or MOT certificate.

The 26-year-old, of Custom House Street, Sutton Bridge, pleaded guilty to the three offences.

Her solicitor, Tiffany Meredith, said: “Miss Barnes was unaware that she was disqualified when she was stopped by the police.

“It was a disqualification that was imposed on her in February and since then the court at Peterborough have revisited that disqualification as Miss Barnes was unaware of the hearing.

“It was revoked and re-sentenced to six penalty points and a financial penalty.”

Miss Meredith said the Crown Prosecution Service was not willing to review the charges.

Colette Harper, prosecuting, said: “When she was stopped, she was disqualified and it has been overturned thereafter.”

The case will be heard again on July 20, with Barnes putting forward special reasons why she should not be punished.

more >

Six months of roadworks for £1.8m scheme to start in June

21 May 2026

Better transport needed to attract tourists

20 May 2026

Cycle challenge in honour of dad

20 May 2026

Lions mark 55 years in town

20 May 2026

Banking on future of visitor numbers

20 May 2026

Celebrating school’s success

20 May 2026